I came across this caravanning disaster parked in a lay-by whilst travelling through St Ives recently. You immediately hope no-one was hurt and seeing caravan fires like this certainly brings it home how quickly things can go wrong. This photo clearly highlights the reason why it is so important to have your caravan serviced every year, even if it is just a gas and electric check. Often if your caravan is not used regularly or on a seasonal pitch, it is easy to forget the importance of caravan servicing. However, there are some simple checks that you can carry out yourself and we’ve listed a few here.
Caravan Fire Safety Tips
- Make sure you have at least one smoke alarm and check it regularly.
- Check that you have new batteries at the start of a new season.
- Ensure you site your caravan at least 6 metres away from neighbouring caravans where possible.
- Fit fire extinguishers and a fire blanket. Fire extinguishers should be checked every year.
- Do not overload electricity sockets and avoid using extension leads or adaptors.
- Do not cover or block heaters.
- Check appliances for worn or damaged cables.
The subject of caravan fires also links to the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas which is highly toxic. Release of this poisonous gas can be caused by faulty gas burning appliances such as your cooker or heater. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can include headaches, sore throats, nausea and drowsiness but symptoms are often overlooked. Our advice is to fit a carbon monoxide alarm as you would in your own home. To read more on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning go to The Caravan and Camping Club – Camping Safety page.